Non-Sanctioned Horseshoe Pitching League
- Mondays, June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 and July 6 & 13
- 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- Madison County Fairgrounds
- This is a non-sanctioned horseshoe pitching league for all ages.
- Haven’t pitched horseshoes before? This is a great way to get started in this lifetime sport. Don’t have your own horseshoes? No problem. We will have a few on site for use.
- Contact person: Chris Jordan (641) 728-4751 or the WPRD (515)462-3258
Mayor’s Bike Ride
- Excellent for all age groups children to seniors.
- Saturday, June 6th
- No Fee
- Check in at 8:00 am parking lot of the Winterset Aquatic Center.
- This leisurely ride will be to City Park and back.
- Purpose: to bring awareness for the need of a biking/jogging/walking trail. Assisting with the ride will be the Winterset Police Department, Winterset Optimist Club and the WPRD.
- Kids and Seniors (65+) wearing a helmet receive a certificate for a free ice cream cone.
Bare Bison Senior Tour
- Monday, June 8
- Depart from City Park North Shelter at 9:30 am.
- Did you know there is a local Bison farm near Winterset? Join us for a tour of the farm and hear about raising Bison as a healthy protein option. Lunch will be served at the conclusion of the tour. Bare Bison staff will grill bison burgers for everyone.
- Cost for bus, tour, and lunch is $20.
- Register by calling the WPRD at 515-462-3258 by Monday June 1st.
- Girls & boys ages 3 & 4 (age determined on September 15, 2020).
- This is an introductory baseball/softball program.
- Held at MM Fields – Softball Complex.
- Wednesdays, June 10, 17, 24 & July 1.
- Girls 9:00-9:45 am
- Boys 10:00 – 10:45 am
- Fee $15
- Registration ends June 5.
- Girls & boys ages 5 & 6 (age determined on September 15, 2020).
- Youth develop beginning fundamentals of baseball /softball.
- Practices are held at MM Fields – Softball Complex.
- Evening games are played at Giffin Fields.
- Fee is $20 per child.
- PRACTICE SESSIONS:
- Tuesday / Thursday -June 9, 11, 16, 18, 23 & 30
- Age 5 – 9:00 – 10:00 am
- Age 6 – 10:15 – 11:15 am
- GAME SESSIONS:
- Thursday – June 25, 6:00 or 7:00 pm
- Thursday – July 2, 6:00 or 7:00 pm
- Registration ends June 5.
Little Legends Golf Lessons
- Boys/girls K thru 6th (19 – 20 yr).
- June 15 thru the 19th at Lakeview Country Club.
- Fee $50
- K, 1 , 2, 3: 9:00 – 10:00 am.
- 4, 5, 6: 10:00 – 11:00 am.
- Golf clubs, balls, instruction and other equipment is provided.
- Registration forms are available at the schools and the WPRD.
- Make checks payable to Little Legends Golf.
- Contact Brett West with questions, 515-577-7910.
Winterset Youth Golf Tourney
- Boys/girls K – 6 (19/20 school yr)
- Friday, June 19 at Lakeview Country Club
- Check-in 8:30am / golf at 9:00.
- Fee $15.00
- Event includes: Putting/chipping contest, hole prizes, adjusted golf format.
- Adult volunteers needed.
- Co-sponsored by: WHS golf program,
- Winterset Optimist Club, Lakeview Country Club and the WPRD.
- Event included with Little Legends Golf Lessons.
- Registration ends June 12.
Movie Night in the Park
- All ages
- No fee
- Friday, June 19
- Approximately 9:00 pm at North Shelter.
- Family fun with a movie in the park.
- Bring your own lawn chair or blanket.
- Movie co – sponsored by Madison County Realty and the WPRD.
2020 Concert Series at City Park
- Concert series is held at the North Shelter area on three Friday evenings, June 5, July 10, Aug. 7
- Beginning at 5:00 pm – Food & favorite beverage served. Live music begins at 5:30 pm.
- There is No admission charge for the concert series.
- No carry-in beverages or food allowed.
- Entertainment schedule:
- June 5, “Fahrenheit”
- July 10, “Willie Mac & The Lost Cousins”
- August 7, “Looking 4 Luke”
- Sponsored by Madison Co. Chamber & WPRD
Playground in the Park
- Boys and girls ages 3 thru 8
- South Shelter Winterset City Park
- M, T, W, TH 10:00 – Noon
- Fee: $30
- Playground I: June 29 – July 2
- Playground II: July 27 – 30
- Playground III: August 10 – 13
- Program includes crafts, stories, hikes, games, snacks and playground.
- One of the highlights is a group hike to Clark Tower on last day – sack lunch needed on this day.
- Registration ends June 8.
Youth Tennis Lessons
- Session I – beginner, grades 3, 4, 5, 6.
- M-Th, July 6 – 9, 8:45 – 9:45 am.
- Session II – advance beginner, grades 3, 4, 5, 6.
- M-Th, July 6 – 9, 10:00-11:00 am.
- Fee $15
- Balls, racquets and instruction provided.
- Lessons held at city tennis courts.
- Registration ends July 1.
Winterset Tennis Rally
- Boys / girls grades 3 – 6
- Friday, July 10, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- At the City Tennis Courts
- Fun filled day of tennis, games and contests. Prizes awarded.
- Balls, racquets and supervision provided.
- All skill levels welcome.
- Bring a sack lunch and your swim suit.
- Free swimming at the aquatic center following the rally.
- Call or email to register.
- No Fee.
Madison County Fair Horseshoe Tourney
- Sun., July 19
- Fee $10.00
- Register and warm up 8:30 – 9:30 am.
- Pitching begins at 10:00 am.
- Madison County Fairgrounds.
- Sanctioned by Iowa Hawkeye Horseshoe Pitchers Assoc.
- Divisions are determined by ringer percentages. Non-members of IHHPA will compete in an open division.
- Sanctioned tournament also held October 12.
- Contact person: Chris Jordan (641) 728-4751 or the WPRD (515) 462-3258
Junior Police and Fire Academies
- Boys and girls grades 4, 5, 6 (2020/21)
- Fee $20.00
- July 29 & 30
- Jr. Police 8:00 – 10:00 am at Winterset Library room
- Jr. Fire 10:00 am – Noon at the Fire Station
- The Winterset Junior Police and Fire Academy is an opportunity for kids to learn about police and fire training and related topics and is presented by officers of the Winterset Police Department and members of the Winterset Fire Department.
- Cadets will experience activities including: physical agility training, fingerprinting, evidence collection, a K-9 demonstration, fire safety, fire fighting techniques and equipment and other activities.
- Cadets will receive a Winterset Junior Police Academy t-shirt.
- Class size: 16.
- Registration ends July 17.
1st Annual Rotary Dog Jog
- Saturday August 1
- Fees $30 / $35 / $40
- Pick up race packets between 7:45 – 8:45 am at North Shelter in City Park (400 S. 9th St.)
- 5K begins at 9:00 am
- Awards given for best costumes, best dog/owner match, and others.
- Proceeds got to Winterset Area Dog Park, Winterset Skate Park, and Winterset Rotary Scholarship fund.
- Register on line at www.getmeregistered.com/RotaryDogJog
- Fliers available at City Hall. Questions Contact Bob Kaldenberg 515-462-4731 or email@example.com.
- Sponsored by Winterset Rotary Club.
Older Iowans Day at the State Fair
- Wednesday, August 19
- Depart from City Park North Shelter at 7:30 am
- Are you an older Iowan who loves to go to the State Fair? Is traffic and finding accessible parking keeping you from going? We have the solution. The WPRD will be taking a bus to the State Fair for Older Iowans Day. You will be dropped off right at the admissions gate around 8:30 am and will be picked back up at the same gate at 3:00 pm to return back to Winterset.
- Cost is $20 for the bus. Ten dollar admission collected on the bus.
- Register by calling the WPRD at 515-462-3258 by Monday, August 10.